[BKARTS] Scharf-fix madness

    On EBAY, a used Scharf-fix leather trimming machine is up for
auction,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8205976325&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1.

    These machines, of course, have all sorts of applications to
bookbinding, for instance, the preparation of leather labels for books.
I consider mine one of the luminaries  of my workshop, and I would have
hocked my grandmother's prize tiara to buy it, except, I didn't have to.

    The current price, as of this posting, is already $200, with 25
bidders in contention.   In the past, I have seen bidders get into a
bidding frenzy about some item, and pay more for a used apparatus than
the cost of a new one.  Will this happen here?  Some sociologist should
write an article on this phenomenom.

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel
from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the
back counter.