Re: [BKARTS] still looking for Raleigh/Ashland, NC book art activities

Sorry for the extremely bleated reply to this posting- we were on vacation that week and I have just now gotten caught up on that week's postings. Asheville NC is quickly becoming quite a hot spot of book arts and the like. With Penland (as mentioned in earlier postings) not too far north of town, and several colleges offering programs in book arts and creative writing, the scene is beginning to congeal. BookWorks (a center for book arts) and Blue Barnhouse (a working bindery, design and letter press studio) have taken up residence in a commercial building in the historic West Asheville Arts District on Haywood Road, and plans are in the works for a more concentrated book arts community to develop in that area. As it is now, Laurie Corral (of BookWorks fame) has several (5?) studio artists residing in her space. Granted, it is a ways from Raleigh (about a 4 hour drive west on I-40) but we're always available for a chat, and would be happy to visit with anyone who would like to check out what is happening here.

Here's a little bit of contact info on the Asheville scene, in case it helps:

BookWorks:
Laurie Corral
828 255 8444
ashevillebookworks.com

Blue Barnhouse: Brandon Mise 828 225 3991 bluebarnhouse.org

For any other NC/SC book artists, we'd love to hear from you as well- it would be nice to expand our community.

Thanks!

Meighan Mise