Re: [BKARTS] rabbit skin books!

--- Paul Bettinson <paul.bettinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>  I intend to write a short text about the use of
> animal "materials" in book
> making.
>
> Yes, I realise that this could be a shocking read,
> like when rat skin was
> mentioned on this List a while ago!
>
> However, I am very much interested in communicating
> the seriousness of the
> history of book making with regard to animal
> 'materials'.
>
> This text is to provide students (aged 16 up) with
> follow up information
> after we were discussing rabbit skin as the sizing
> properties of painters'
> canvases, calf, sheep and goat skins for parchment
> material.....
>  I would very much appreciate more informed
> information about this
> topic.....
>  Also, where there have be bans on materials used
> etc?...
>
> Be great to get information, links, sources etc!..
>  regards
>  --
> Paul Bettinson
> http://ncfab.org
> Postboks 4703 Sofienberg
> 0506 Oslo
> Norway
> Tel: 0047 99534993

Paul:

I have a paperback book that has been hardbound with
probaly pony skin.  Title is "Martin Fierro" and if
you go to the following URL:

       http://www.addall.com

A book search site.  Click on "used book' search and
go with the following:

    Title:    Martin Fierro

     Keyword:   Unusual

     Binding:  Hardbound

you will come up with 7 examples of this book in a
special skin binding.

Mine is bound by hand and has a front cover that looks
like it has been done by a wood burning pencil and
then colored.  Title on top with a picture of a Gaucho
on horseback standing on a grassy field.  Looks like
hand made endpapers.  Has a red bookmark ribbon. Has a
inscription in Spanish signed in 1955.

Bkbinder

As the Spanish proverb says, ?He who would bring home the wealth of the Indies must carry the wealth of the Indies with him,? so it is in travelling,?a man must carry knowledge with him if he would bring home knowledge.

Life of Johnson (Boswell). Vol. vii. Chap. v. 1778.