[BKARTS] Spirit Books Exhibition/Weston, MA

Dear Friends

I sent this message yesterday but never received the posting myself so I am not sure if anyone else did. So I am sending it a second time with apologies if it is repeat. Also note that the message at the end about my being on Boston local access cable is correct in this message.

As some of you know, I have been working on a series of sculptural books called the Spirit Book Series for a long time, thirteen years to be exact. I have ended the series at #50 and am having a retrospective exhibit at the Carney Gallery at Regis College in Weston, MA. There will be 35 pieces shown. Here's what I have written about the work:

The Spirit Book Series, a thirteen-year project, connects the artist’s experience of the inherent spirituality and mystery of nature with the longstanding tradition of books as testaments of faith and belief. Created with textured papers, twigs, beads, delicate golden stitched spirals, and pinpricked designs that rest in cradles of branches and roots, the books look like sculptures from a distance, but their essential “bookness” becomes apparent with a closer look. Each page is a meditation that echoes nature with both repetition and variety. “Reading” the books is meant to be a contemplative experience that takes the reader out of the everyday world and into a state of gratitude and reverence.

The Spirit Books Series
Carney Gallery
Regis College Fine Arts Center
235 Wellesley Street
Weston, MA
781.768.7034

October 23-December 18

Opening reception: October 23, 2:30-4:30
Gallery Talk and Hands-on Viewing: November 20, 2:30-4:30

Gallery Hours: Monday-Friday 10-4 and by appointment

To view and/or print a pdf of the printed invitation or a flyer for the exhibition and for directions, go to http:// www.susankapuscinskigaylord.com/news

To view the Spirit Books, visit http:// www.susankapuscinskigaylord.com/spiritbooks/index.html

For any Bostonians on the list, I will be talking about the exhibit on It's All About the Arts on local access cable. It will be on Channel 9, live on Monday, October 17 from 6-7, and replayed on Tuesday at 2:30 AM and 10 AM, Friday at 8 PM and Saturday at 6:30 AM.

in good spirit
Susan

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord
Newburyport, MA