To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 8:22 PM
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] rabbit skin books!

Lots of Kangaroo skins, various colors, on sale on EBAY. Just do a search for "skin Kangaroo" (Some of the articles coming up are finished items, but the skins are also there.) You should also look at the EBAY markets of the various leather dealers.

Michelle wrote:

I just took a class in Nag Hammadi, which is papyrus books made with Kangeroo skin covers! It was fantastic and the "roo" skin is stronger than pig, yet very easy to work with. The sale of Kangeroo skin from Australia is legal now because there are so many Kangeroos that they are having controlled hunts in order to thin them out. Unfortunately I have found it to be quite difficult if not impossible to find here in the States and am looking at ordering from eBay or directly from Australia.

HTH,
Michelle M
Minnesota USA

Paul Bettinson <paul.bettinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

However, I am very much interested in communicating the seriousness of the
history of book making with regard to animal 'materials'.

This text is to provide students (aged 16 up) with follow up information
after we were discussing rabbit skin as the sizing properties of painters'
canvases, calf, sheep and goat skins for parchment material.....
I would very much appreciate more informed information about this
topic.....
Also, where there have be bans on materials used etc?...

Be great to get information, links, sources etc!..
regards
--
Paul Bettinson
http://ncfab.org

See for full information

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.  The owner pulled a wheel
from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the
back counter.
"But they are identical," the owner protested.
"No," Magritte insisted.  "This one's been stared at."