[BKARTS] Book Skins

Paul Bettinson wrote:
> like when rat skin was mentioned on this List a while ago!

In case some of the newer list members missed that, the binding Paul
refers to is
http://minsky.com/5.htm

I like the examples Peter posted. One thing about snake skins--if you
cut pieces out and reassemble them they make interesting patterns:
http://minsky.com/snake.htm

Here's another kind of skin:
http://minsky.com/4.htm

Bertha asks about "making books from nonliving sources."

In 1987 I organized an exhibition at The Center for Book Arts of
Bookbindings by Jean de Gonet.
http://www.centerforbookarts.org/newsite/exhibits/archive/showdetail.asp?showID=44

He used many materials from nonliving sources, like sheet metal. The
illustrated exhibition catalog is in the online archive. You can read
Jan van der Marck's essay there and I suggest looking at item 21.

It's hard to find books made totally from material that was never
alive.  Even polyurethane was alive once. Linen was alive more recently
than polyurethane. Paper and wood were alive. Perhaps you were thinking of
non-animal sources rather than non-living.  I do a lot of gardening, and
am closer in spirit to the plants than the deer that eat them.

--
Richard
http://minsky.com