Re: [BKARTS] hotbed skins

kattalina kazunas wrote:

It is interesting to consider that Native Americans
used animals hides and skins and bones, for clothing,
shelter, tools, food, and so forth. The difference
was, they killed the animals with a degree of
"respect" (for lack of a better word), AND, they also
used every inch of the animal's parts, and were not
wasteful.

Well, um, I have a quibble with this. PLEASE do not regard this as a flame . . . this is a topic that, in general, I am interested in, not consumed by.

My response is this: Native Americans killed animals and used all their parts because they had no choice. Their frugality was due more to the need to survive than any questionable moral opposition to waste. And the "killing with respect" thing has always seemed a little threadbare to me. It seems like something meant more to console the hunter (understandable) or his audience (just plain silly), than anything likely to make the dead animal feel better. Speaking personally, if someone kills me, I don't really care what their attitude was about it.

Having said all that, I have no objection to using animal skins for binding. I am more concerned, *much* more concerned, with how the animal was raised and butchered than that they were killed for our use. I do agree with Kattalina that no other material can aesthetically match leather as a binding, too.

By the way, I have heard, and want to believe, that there is a book bound in human skin in the collection of the Boston Athenaeum.

As always, fascinated by what happens on this list,
Matthew

--
Matthew Garelick
www.mattthehat.com