Re: [BKARTS] hotbed skins

On Oct 12, 2005, at 3:07 PM, Matthew Garelick wrote:

By the way, I have heard, and want to believe, that there is a book bound in human skin in the collection of the Boston Athenaeum.

A certain Maruice Hamonneau, whom I did not nor do not know, bound books in a variety of animal skins, including or as well as human. I am not sure if Hamonneau's book bound in human skin is the one you speak of, Matthew, but it is interesting nonetheless. It is an 1818 book, Cutaneous Diseases, bound in "Moroccan". Well, not the goat... In the article that I have on him, it says he "obtained the skin from Morocco but refuses to give the details." Did anyone on this list know this binder?

Vernon W

Wiering Books
1553 Orville Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49507 USA
616/248-5434

Period bookbinding and restoration, by hand.

Visit
http://www.wieringbooks.com