[BKARTS] moldy PVA

My jug of Jade 403 sprouted a big batch of mold - as
did my separate mixture of 50/50 methyl cellulose/PVA.
I'm assuming that this has something to do with the
nine days of rain that the Northeast recently endured.
But this has never happened in the 5 years that I've
been in my space before. Could it be some sort of 'bad
batch?' or just too much dampness to endure?

I'm aware that some people combine additives to
prevent this sort of thing, but since this was an
anomaly, I'm just looking for a cause.
And can I just scrape off the top and continue to use?

thanks,

Deb
Pawtucket, RI