To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2005 8:59 PM
Subject: [BKARTS]

John, that was real helpful.........

----- Original Message ----- From: "collectedbooks" <collectedbooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2005 7:20 PM
Subject: Re:

Hi Alan,

Just leave them alone!

John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Gardner" <gardner.alan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2005 3:13 PM

Hi all,
I purchased two used books that I'd like to re-cover so that they are matching companion books. Both books are the same height, different thickness, but the length of book A is 1/4 of an inch deeper than book B. Ideally, I'd like to have them both the same length so that their spines are flush when they're on the book shelf.

Are there any recommended "hacks" to make these books even? Can I elongate the cover on one and shorten it on the other? Can I make the piece of backboard along the spine a bit thicker on book B to make the total cover deeper?

This is my first attempt at book binding and would appreciate any advice on how to make this a successful outcome.

Alan