Re: [BKARTS] Deacidification Solution

Photos that haven't been fixed properly will age rather quickly.

Abby

________________________________

From: Book_Arts-L on behalf of Carol Pratt
Sent: Fri 10/28/2005 1:44 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Deacidification Solution

Linda,

The browning of the photos may or may not be caused by the mounting
paper.  If the pictures were not properly "fixed" when developed, they
will turn brown as they age.  Deacidification of the album paper is not
always going to such deterioration.  I think you need to contact a
photo conservator to get some answers.

You can find information at <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/>.  By
scrolling down about halfway you will find resource headings.  Also
<http://aic.stanford.edu/>, the website for the American Institute for
Conservation.  Under "About AIC" in the heading, there are links to
lists for finding people to query.

Carol Pratt
Eugene, OR
-----