Re: [BKARTS] Deacidification Solution

Linda,

Photographs should not be deacidified.  The emulsion of photographs
is gelatin, and gelatin is stable in a *slightly* acid condition.

I am not talking about digital photographs or photos printed on RC
paper; I'm talking about traditional photographs.

As to the photos turning brown, are you certain that what you have
are not sepia toned photos?

In any event, do not deacidify your photos.  It would probably be
best if you remounted the photos on neutral pH paper, and such
paper is available, perhaps from TALAS; also check University Products.

Jack

>Hi Aaron,
>
>I have an album of photographs that I bought at auction several years
>ago. (snip) Obviously the paper they are mounted on is not archival--
>many have gotten very brown.
>
>Are these formulations something that would help keep the album from
>deteriorating so quickly? I can't quite tell from your site if they are
>useful after-the-fact, as it were, or if they need to be applied BEFORE
>mounting the photos.
>
>Thanks,
>Linda S.

Thompson Conservation Lab.