[BKARTS] Water soaked photographs katrina rita wilma

Ok we have a lot of people who come into the shelters and they have been
talking about their ruined photgraphs and I have scanned a few for some people
using an office copier   So what can be done generally to preserve  this stuff.
 lots of people take them to photocopy them as they dont have  the money or
the time to do this. If I can get a hold of them I scan them  with a scanner
and do it right.  But what would you suggest for people to  restore what they
have and how to preserve them.  This is a huge problem  there are people all
over the place who are in this mess.  Basically they  are water logged.  most
people put them into boxes and not move them as  when they are wet it will smear.
 What can they do?