Re: [BKARTS] Bookbinding Material Samples

Margie,

I've been in the business for going on 30 years and for the most part, the
Pacific Northwest has been as distant from local suppliers as West Virginia.

Sample books?  I have boxes of them, some dating back nearly 80 years
(and no, I'm not that old).

It is not worthwhile for you to put together a sample book of materials
available at this moment.

The reason being that materials change.  You find something that works for
you. Well and good.  Next year, when you attempt to re-order, you may find
that the material has changed.

We're all in the same boat, whether you've been in the business for a year
or thirty years, or more, things change.

And if you made/sold a sample book of what everyone wanted, what would it
include?  Would it satisfy everyone?

>I'm a bookbinding novice living in West Virginia - far, far away from any
>bookbinding supplier or even a large, well-stocked art store.  Consequently,
>I purchase almost all of my materials over the internet.  I've spent a small
>fortune purchasing sample books for papers, bookcloth, leather, etc.  I
>actually wanted just ONE sample of many of the item[s] so that I could judge
>the weight, feel, etc. but I had to purchase a full set with samples of each
>color.

>5.  I'm thinking of putting together a website that would be a reference and
>resource about bookbinding products.

This has already been done.

See:

Signa Houghteling <judy@xxxxxxxxxx>

The Guild of Book Workers is a 99-year old national (even international)
organization of just what its title suggests, people in all aspects of book
works including calligraphy, bookbinding, restoratin, conservation,
paper-making, paste and marbled papers, et al.  In addition to an annual
"Standards of Excellence Seminar," a bimonthly newsletter and semi-annual
journal, GBW has a website which now has a computerized list of suppliers of
all types of binding, conservation and restoration materials.

Look at the website for membership information:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw

Hope this helps.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.