[BKARTS] New Book: The Room of Crosses

Book Arts & Letterpress Lists:

We are very pleased to announce availability of our newest book, "The Room of Crosses." It's a Florida folktale, of sorts, with a pure and essential message: that things perhaps are not as bad as we might think.

The book is letterpress printed from handset metal types, with naive pen and ink illustrations and hand lettering, in both a regular and a deluxe edition. The regular edition, which numbers 125 copies, is printed on Frankfurt Creme paper, then bound by hand in endsheets of handmade Fabriano Roma and cased inside full cloth-covered boards with a letterpress-printed label. The deluxe edition, which numbers 35 copies, is printed on handmade cotton rag and jute Twinrocker paper, then bound by hand in full leather in the French Reliure Simplifiee style, using the same Fabriano Roma endsheets, as well as papers we marbled ourselves.

And yes, the book is available in sheets for bookbinders.

The regular edition is available now, and is priced at $65. We are accepting early orders for the deluxe edition, with an anticipated delivery date of February, 2006. Deluxe edition pre-orders are priced at $165, but that price will rise after January 30, 2006. Full details, as well as photographs of the book, are at our website:

http://www.conviviobookworks.com

From our homepage, the "Our Catalog" link will take you to "Letterpress Books," and there you have it. We are planning on sending a prospectus to all on our mailing list, so if you are interested in receiving one, sign on to our mailing list, too.

This book is small and simple, and yet it's had a long ways to travel. The metal types, which were cast by the Bixlers in New York, traveled numerous times between Alabama and Maine and our Florida homebase, and the illustrations, as those on our email list know, began on a paper napkin at the Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina. That napkin's been to more places than many people have. And we stopped guessing where the story came from a long time ago. We're just happy to say this book is finally a concrete object. We hope you like what you see.

Thank you kindly,
John & Seth

Convivio Bookworks John Cutrone & Seth Thompson, proprietors Book and broadsides, made by hand in Lake Worth, Florida. http://www.conviviobookworks.com