Re: [BKARTS] www.aboutbookbinding.com

Hello Chris,

Good Question!
In the US most books published before the 1920's are
not under copyright protection and are free for
distribution to the public.  Dovers versions of these
books are all under copyright protection.  The law
states that you have to modify the original books
content by a certain percentage in order to copyright
it again. I forget what the percentage is? 20% or so
if I remember correctly.  But the copyright is only
good for the new version not the original version.
NOLO has a great book on copyright law that explains
it better.  Dover adds a new intro, title, a section,
modifies the content in some way and copyrights their
new version  of the original book but the orginal work
is still free for use to the public.  It's called
being in the public domain. That's how The Gutenburg
Project has the full content of all those books
online.  Walt Disney got his start in business selling
public domain films and such.  Their are several
publishers including Dover that do this on a regular
basis to build up their back list of books to sell.
Google has also started a project to put lots and lots
of public domain books online.
Thanks for asking.

Marcus Harbert
http://www.aboutbookbinding.com