[BKARTS] Book Arts Survey / Programs & Activities

I'm writing on behalf of the Virginia Arts of the Book Center (VABC), a small organization located in Charlottesville, VA; cf

http//www.virginiabookarts.org/

The VABC is a hands-on letterpress, etching, and book arts studio supporting the humanities and the arts through a community-access workshop. Currently, the VABC is operated entirely by a volunteer staff. It receives financial support from the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and from private donations. Additional income is generated by holding workshops and classes.

We're interested in expanding our programs and hiring a paid staff member, and we'd like to know more about the activities and organizational structure of other small book art studios and centers in the United States.

If you are associated with a cooperative center concerned with the book arts, would you be willing either to reply to the brief survey below, or to forward it to the most appropriate person in your organization for this purpose? Your collective feedback will serve as a model for our continued activities, and we will be happy to share our final report with other operations that might
also find the information of use.

Many thanks,

Barbara Heritage
Member of the VABC Press Group and the VABC Board of Directors

Survey for Book Arts Studios, Centers, and Cooperatives

1) What is the name of your organization?
2) What is your organization's mission?
3) How long has your organization been operating?
4) Please list your organization's address and contact information.
5) How many members do you have?
6) What is your annual operating budget?
7) What is your general source of income?
8) Do you employ full-time workers? If so, how many, and what are their general responsibilities and salaries?
9) Briefly describe your system of governance.
10) What are your main activities? For example, if you are a shared studio, how much do you charge for a membership and/or studio space? If you offer workshops, what is the average cost of a class its average duration? How much do you pay your instructor? Please give some examples if possible.

Barbara Heritage Curator of Collections Rare Book School University of Virginia

barbara.heritage@xxxxxxxxxxxx
434.924.9951