Re: [BKARTS] kangaroo leather

Jet,

From our own experience and that of some of our customers, we know that
kangaroo is easy to glue with straight PVA.  It is also split thin enough
that it needs no paring or very little. If you do get some glue on the
surface, it will wipe off with water, but you will need to rub it a little.
(It depends on how much glue you are trying to get off.)   That said, you
should rub the rest of the leather so that the one area doesn't get
discolored a bit.  Usually I use a soft, damp.  If I do use water on the
leather, I also let it air dry and don't place it under a weight right away.

The leather is finished so that it accepts gold tooling and is great for
doing blind tooling. A bone folder creates a great embossed line on the
leather. I haven't tried waxing or polishing it, but I am confident it will
accept it like any leather. Often I rub it with my fingers and the oil
produces a polished look.

One of our instructors recently began distressing the kangaroo by crumbling
it up repeatedly.  The effect is to make it very supple (kangaroo is a
little stiff) and the wrinkles it creates gives it an interesting textured
appearance.

Like anything, experiment with small pieces of the leather and I am sure you
will find your own answers to your questions.

Tom Hollander

Hollander's
410 N Fourth Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48104