Re: [BKARTS] Ephraim Deinard, bookman, historian and polemicist (1846-1930)

	I found this posting very interesting, since the cited "person," Ephraim Deinard, really is a fictional character, sort
of the Talmudic equivalent of Lieutenant Kije.  The works that appear under his name constitute an elaborate series of
literary hoaxes, and who exactly perpetrated them is the subject of scholarly dispute, although some suggested answers
to this question can be found in several articles in the European Journal of Talmudic Studies, for instance, see v. 38,
p. 122.  There is no doubt that whoever penned the works was quite familiar with Talmudic law, and, in particular, the
Halakhic development and The Tosefta. Rabbi David Halevi, also known as the "Turei Hazahav," is the person most often
conjectured as being the author of the suspected works.   Rabbi David Halevi  lost at a fairly early age the use of both
of his hands,  due to a neuromuscular disorder. Medical historians conjecture that he was a victim of what is called
amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease.) His later writings manifest a very dispirited, even bitter,
flavor, and it is clear that he came increasingly to see himself as a sort of Satan (Hebrew for an obstructer or
impairer) who staunchly opposed the current developments in Talmudic theory. The Rabbi spoke English fluently and
effortlessly, and current interest attaches to many of his writings as exemplars in the study of the development of
English prose style. It should be noted that the name Ephraim Deinard is an English anagram for Handed Impairer.

--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

	The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store in Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.
The owner pulled a wheel from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.