[BKARTS] freeing the pastedowns

	Occasionally, people want me to recase a book, but want the old flyleaf and the old pastedown saved, because there may
be important graphics or signatures on them.  I have always had to decline these jobs, since I have no idea of how to
save the old pastedowns.  Ideally, I would like to create a new cover, with new boards and leather, but save the old
endpapers and attach them to the new cover.
	I have tried various techniques--- steaming, solvents, ironing--- to free the old pastedowns from the boards on
practice books, but nothing seems to work.  Is there anyway to do this?  It seems the older the book, the more fragile
the pastedowns, and the more avidly they adhere to the boards.
Thanks,
Jet
--

J. J. Foncannon
Philadelphia, PA  19139

	The Belgian surrealist painter Renee Magritte entered a cheese store in Brussels to purchase a wheel of Swiss cheese.
The owner pulled a wheel from the front window, but Magritte said he preferred the one on the back counter.