c. 734-323-0663
felixpress2@xxxxxxxxx
www-personal.umich.edu/~felice

On Dec 9, 2005, at 12:00 AM, BOOK_ARTS-L automatic digest system wrote:

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:22:07 -0900
From:    Christopher Swingley <cswingle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Printing scrolls

Joanne,

* Wotypka, Joanne <Joanne.Wotypka@xxxxxxxxxxx> [2005-Dec-08 12:14 AKST]:
I have a question: I'm on the cusp of finishing my PhD dissertation
(it's on Kerouac and Buddhism) and I thought it would be really cool to
give my supervisors a scroll copy of my work (like the On The Road
scroll). Does anyone have any suggestions about where I might find a
printer that can do a very long scroll? All I've gotten so far is a
bunch of strange looks and even stranger emails.

Many printing places in University towns have wide format printers that
can print posters of pretty much any length. I've got one (HP DesignJet
755) that I use to print scientific posters for conferences that takes
rolls of paper 36 inches wide x 100 feet long. I don't know how long
your dissertation is, but you might be able to get your document
formatted into a big long column, then tie four together side by side
and have them printed on a wide format printer. Cut the four columns
apart and you've have four copies of your "scroll".

I use high gloss paper for our printer, but you might be able to choose
a more conventional flat paper that would roll better.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Intl. Arctic Research Center