Re: [BKARTS] freeing the pastedowns

Hi - I have a copy of The Gardener's Calendar, twenty-second edition 1822 London (one of my first leather bindings) and I had wanted to save the pastedown as it had information about previous owners and a bookseller's little sticker - Calcutta. The first owner had been a doctor and gardened in India in 1822, the second owner had gardened in Ahmedabad, India in 1870
Hubert Leur, my teacher showed me how to remove it, by lifting it slowly and carefully with a very sharp knife. We then glued it into place over the new pastedown - inside the new boards.
There are a few places along the edge where the paper had disintegrated, but it is there and very legible.
Regards, Alice
v. alice hughes
Argosy Books in Ottawa
www.argosybooks.ca