Re: [BKARTS] The Pepper Gospels

Very Nice! Thanks for sharing.

  Mark
  Lost Crafts
  Bookbinding

James Pepper <Biblescribe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I just updated my website the Pepper Bible to include new pictures of the
illuminated manuscript of the Gospels.
_http://hometown.aol.com/biblescribe1/biblescribe1/index.htm_
(http://hometown.aol.com/biblescribe1/biblescribe1/index.htm)
You can Google it by typing in "The Pepper Bible."

The illumination at the top of the page is from Luke chapter 3 and it  is a
carpet page.  Whereas the Book of Kells and the Saint John's Bible  have carpet
pages at the beginning of each Gospel, I decided to do that at the  beginning
of each chapter so about half of the chapters actually start with a  full
page carpet page. The designs are all my own. It is made entirely by  hand
without the use of computers and I did it all by myself.

Each chapter is written in a different historic calligraphic style.

The Gospels contain an Interlinear Polyglot in Greek, Latin and English
which I made by translating the Complutensian Polyglot of Accala Spain of
1514-1517.

Also included are blessings from Pope John Paul II and the Archbishop of
York.

I completed the New Testament in 1995, but when 9-11 happened and I lost a
lot friends that day and so I decided to make a great Bible book.  And this
set of Gospels contains 310 pages that are illuminated, 550 in all and most  of
the remaining pages are illustrated.
Right now I am finishing the inhabited initials of Luke, Most of the verse
initials of Luke are inhabited initials, they contain a drawing of a plant or
animal or thing in with the first initial of the verse.

The links at the bottom of the page lead to about 1200 links on illuminated
manuscripts

Sincerely,

James G. Pepper
Antiquarius Domini