To: <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: Artist biographies

If you mean real biographies, such as normal books, two recent ones have
been truly outstanding:  about Henri Matisse (volume 2 is now out and I
haven't read it but hope to get it for Christmas!) and Wilem de Kooning.
Both put the artists in context historically and in their culture and the
authors are quite knowledgeable about the art of both, the influences of
people and life experiences, as well as the general history of art.

Signa