[BKARTS] BIOGRAPHIES

>  Betty-
>
>  I'm reading a delightful fictional biography by William Boyd, Any Human
> Heart.
> Boyd also wrote the infamous biography, Nat Tate: An American Artist,
which turned out to be an elaborate practical joke on the art scene.
It will definitely be my next read! Since I do my best reading on
public transportation, and we here in NY are having a transit strike,
I may have to "train" myself for armchair reading.

>  "...On the eve of April Fool's Day in 1998, the elite of New York's
> artistic and literary circles gathered to celebrate the launching of Boyd's
> biography of a rediscovered American artist, Nat Tate. Tate, an
> abstract-expressionist painter, had associated with artists such as
> Picasso and Braque, but then methodically destroyed most of his work
> and committed suicide at age 31, throwing himself off the Staten Island
> Ferry and into artistic obscurity. Boyd and David Bowie (a director of 21
> Publishing, which produced the book) solemnly read excerpts from the
> biography and were surprised and gratified as they mingled with the guests
> to hear that a few people attending the party remembered meeting Nat Tate.
>
>  The only problem was that Nat Tate never existed: the biography was
> completely fictional. Its credibility was boosted by facsimiles of the
> artist's
> recently discovered drawings (created, for the most part, by Boyd himself),
> grainy pictures of the artist and his acquaintances (taken from collections
> of anonymous photographs), and an endorsement on the dust-jacket by
> writer Gore Vidal (who was in on the joke as well)."...
>
> Christopher Grobe, Yale Review of Books
> http://www.yalereviewofbooks.com/archive/summer03/review10.shtml.htm

A L I C E * S I M P S O N
D A N C E M A R A T H O N