Re: [BKARTS] Artist sketchbooks

Perrella and Diehn are both good.

I also like "The Art of Field Sketching" by Clare Walker Leslie (Prentice Hall, 1984), and books by Frederick Franck, "The Zen of Seeing", "The Awakened Eye", and "Art as a Way"—all on drawing.

I don't think this is off-topic. Doing art journalling can be a preliminary step to making an artwork, whether a piece of pottery, a painting, or a binding. It can also be no preliminary to anything, but rather recording random thoughts that may (or may not) lead to something sometime. Creating leads to more creativity.

Lots of people keep art journals and have for a very long time. Sometimes these will be travel journals, and I've seen some wonderful 19th century books in exhibitions and in my own practice. They are very exciting to look at, especially as they allow a glimpse into the private mind of the maker. I also once worked on an art journal/diary that was made as a legacy to the very young daughter by her terminally ill mother. It was not the work of a professional artist, nor was it filled with wonderful drawings, etc. It was, however, taken all together, a beautiful and poetic piece.

It seems to me that art journals are one of the most wonderful pastimes.

Carol Pratt
Eugene, OR
---------