Re: [BKARTS] artist's biographies

Two come to mind....

Benvenuto Cellini's Autobiography....  Why I like it?  Because it's in his own words and was not filtered by another.  It was great learning what a true renaissance artist thought of himself and his life.  Doesn't get much more real than that! (of course Benvenuto could have been writing fiction!)

And I liked Lust for Life, the story of Vincent Van Gogh, by Irving Stone.  I'm not going to declare it great literature or anything, but the very readable narrative makes the characters come alive in a better way than just listing the facts.  And most of the story is based on factual events, etc.  That one book inspired me to really become an artist.

I guess in both cases I was attracted to the artist's experience and thoughts.

Jim W.