Re: [BKARTS] artist's biographies

One stunner on my list of bios is
Utopia Parkway: The Life and Works of Joseph Cornell
by Deborah Solomon
Full of detail, a real feel for the seclusive life lived and moved beyond through the works...
I certainly second the suggestion for the recent Matisse and recent DeKooning biographies.

One autobiography that is so good I even replaced it (when my first copy-- loaned to a friend -- never came back to me) is
The Sound of Sleat : A Painter's Life
by Jon Schueler
(please note, the spelling Sleat is correct as given here.....The Sound of Sleat is a place in Scotland)

His own words are priceless....his own self-judgments....his own descriptions of trial and error...the intensity with
which he pursued his goals and his relationship to/interactions with the elements, the "art world", other people) are clear and highly engaging.