[BKARTS] Artists Sketchbook & Visual Journals

Hello,

I, too, am enjoying the continuing artist sketchbook/visual journal suggestions. Thanks! I would also enthusiastically recommend Jennifer New's book: Drawing from Life: The Journal as Art. Diverse work from journals of substance. There seem to be a goodly number of scrapbooking/hobby oriented "journaling" books out, and though there are fun things going on in those realms, I am moved and inspired only by the works of depth in this field that holds so much potential for creative exploration. I would also strongly recommend:

William D. Berry: 1954-1956 Alaskan Field Sketches, compiled with commentary by Elizabeth Berry, University of Alaska Press, 1989 (out of print)
This book is a wonderful natural history oriented collection of the works of a man who spent many years observing, drawing and painting the wilds near Denali National Park in Alaska.

True Nature: An Illustrated Journal of the Four Seasons in Solitude, by Barbara Bash, Shambala Press, 2004
This book is written by an artist/calligrapher/Buddhist, who went on retreat alone to observe her own inner realms, recording in the journal along the way.

Such an eclectic assortment we are in this group. I am painter who got into book arts in desperation, seeking a way to create my own journals, using artist quality paper instead of the poorer grade papers typical of store bought journals, choosing formats to suit my own purposes, rather than being stuck with the standard ones. Most the art I make now happens outdoors, in wild forests of the west, drawing, painting and writing directly on the pages of my journals. There is something unique and powerful about making art in remote wild places. The journals have evolved from being an inspiration source for later efforts, to becoming the work itself. I teach classes in creating visual journals and field journals for San Francisco Center for the Book, Yosemite Association, and Sitka Center for Art & Ecology, among others. One of these days I hope to add my own to the list of published artist journal books...

This season, I have published an open edition accordion bound 2006 Calendar from my Illuminated Forest Field Journals. I would be happy to send email images and ordering info to anyone interested.

Peaceful Wintery Greetings to you all,
..· ´¨¨)) -: :-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´      Andie Thrams -: :-
-: :- ((¸¸.·´*

*-.,,.-*-;-*-.,,.-*-;-*-.,,.-*-;-*-.,,.-*-;-*-.,,.-*-;-*-.,,.-*
PO Box 304
Coloma CA 95613
(530) 626-6181

***********************************************
Now Online - The Bonefolder, Vol. 2, No. 1 at <http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder>