Re: [BKARTS] Telling of the Book Arts World

It's tricky - because books often need to be more rigidly categorized with the need for cross referencing - unlike paintings or sculpture. I tend to see artist books less like literary books - and more like works of art. My point was, that when artist books are classified into themes - the most mediocre subjects always prevail. I mean - 'alphabets'?! What grade are we in here? It makes me wonder what audience these books are intended for. My guess is that they are for the same circle jerk crowd artist books always tend to swirl around in. I'm just saddened that most of the time, when I see a book arts show - its with artists books that are so painfully lacking in ideas. Innovative content is as important in art as form is, and most artist books usually ignore one for the other. It is for this reason that artist books will never be taken as seriously as other forms of fine art by the established art world.

-Scott