Re: [BKARTS] Telling of the Book Arts World

Dear Lisa Beth and Community,
  I've been mulling over this idea of catagories and organizations in  special collections, and I don't think I currently have an answer. As a  book artist, I don't like that the Queensland Library has the themes  listed so limiting, but I keep trying to think from the perspective on  a non-book arts person. Would too many overwhelm me? In order to be  educated, would fewer catagories make me explore and learn more about  specific works of book art and/or artists? (and possibly realize the  limitations of the catagories?)

  I checked out the page myself, and was glad to see that they have a few  catagories that refered to structure and construction, which is more  something a book artist may come looking for, rather than a non-book  artist. A non-book artist will look for themes, I think, not knowing  anything about, say, the names of bindings. But I do think this  requires further conversation - what are other themes  all of you  out there would want to see?

  Michelle

Lisa Beth Robinson <cholbrain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  > It's sadly telling of the book arts world though, that under 'Find
> artists? books by Theme,' the categories listed are:

Dear Scott and Community,

what are other categories you propose?  How do you envision a
collection being categorized/organized?  By media and technique? Date
published?  Subject-theme?

For those of us starting collections, what do you suggest as a
framework to use for organizing and cataloging a collection? (aside
from Library of Congress and OCLC)

Take care and have a peaceful new year,
Lisa Beth

          See  for full information