Re: [BKARTS] Telling of the Book Arts World

Isn't this sort of missing the point that the website is an educational
website designed to be usable by the general public and students?

My reading is that the themes probably tie into the school curriculum in
some way - after all Education Queensland (which is mentioned as a
partner on the website) runs the school system here in Queensland.

So if a school student is looking to research artworks that deal with
the migrant experience then Jonathon Tse's book 'Portrait of an
Australian Immigrant' which uses the format of a passport to explore
some serious issues about migration, displacement and identity would
form a great place to start looking at these issues as well as looking
at conceptual artists' books.

Also the State Library of Queensland has hundreds of artists' books in
their collection and yet there are only a few on the website and when
you explore the site some of those books are mentioned within the
different themes multiple times. I think that they are providing just a
small introduction to the artform - not some sort of definitive
statement about it.

This is a resource that will assist in making the book arts more
accessible to a wider audience... Which really is one of the reasons
that public institutions should be collecting artists' books isn't it?

I would suggest that people should take a longer look into the site
athttp://www.artistsbooks.slq.qld.gov.au/

Robert Heather
Artspace Mackay
Queensland