Re: [BKARTS] Telling of the Book Arts World

Date:    Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:31:59 -0800
From:    Michelle Wilson <michelle_print@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Telling of the Book Arts World

Hi Everyone,
This email thread makes me wonder - how do those of you, who are
book
artists, explain what you do as book artists to non-art people? I find
myself
in this situation often, particularly being a graduate student in a
book arts
program, and most of my reactions are something along the lines of
"You can do
that?" or that I am getting some degree in a glorified version of
scrapbooking.

When I am talking to people outside the book arts world about what I do. I start by saying "I am an artist. I create works of art, that look or act, more or less, like a book." I have found that putting the word "book" at the end of the explanation helps a lot. When I use the word "book" at the beginning the listener immediately frames the rest of my words as relating to books (bookstore books). When I start with artist, it helps to them to focus on the art, not the book part of the description.

Happy New Year

Jill Timm
Mystical Places Press
Handcrafted artist books,