Re: [BKARTS] Telling of the Book Arts World

Scott and Judy and everyone else:
    Book arts as it seems to be defined  here in this forum is an innovative
method of experimental art and so it should  not be hindered by
classifications, it should be allowed to be all over the  place, but then again, Art in
general is afraid of  innovation!
    Actually the big problem with Art in  general these days is the lack of
acknowledgment of the passion in the work  by the artist, artists cut back
their passion to fit the art world and the art  world expects no passion or the
correct forms of passion acceptable to the art  world, the dismissal of anything
that is not mainstream, the fear to show  anything out of the ordinary unless
it is given the nod as being imaginative and  creative and exactly what the
art community will accept as  "art." And especially the lack of local city
museums to  show local artists, no they have to only show dead artists or people
who have  been published by major publishers and are nearly dead. The Dead and
nearly  Dead, perhaps they should hold funerals in museums.

 Another words there is no innovation anymore unless it  is approved first,
it fits a particular format or computer program or it  belongs to someone who
is rich and the museum wants their collection when they  die. $$$$$  No more
passion, no more risks.
    Are there any artists out there  willing to pick a fight with the art
world? To offend  gallery owners at their core? Are they willing to take up their
passions and do  the work, the scholarship to make something amazing and do
they really care if their work is classified or not?  You have your
innovators out there in the book arts and then you have the mainstream, you will  have
to figure out who is in it for the passion and who is in it for the
"alphabets."  Who are the creators and who are not and of course we have to  allow for
our standards to change over time, but when people are not doing it  for the
right reasons, it shows in the work.

I have been posting updates on my illuminated manuscript of  the Bible here,
which I have been making by hand since 1987, because I  thought this was a
forum on book arts and not just a specific type of that art  form.  I have
learned a lot from the binders who post here and am  interested in the skills of
these artisans.  I recently saw a  wonderful show of french book bindings at the
Bridwell Library at  SMU.
     My particular works are of the  oldest type of book arts, scripture is
the original book  art.  Miro and Marc Chagall did it.  But hey does anyone
know why  they did it?  It is the work of someone who is passionate about their
work  and it takes the form of "book arts" but I would have done this work
whether the  art form existed or not.  It is a call and a way of life, it is who I
 am. It is a work of scholarship, it includes an interlinear polyglot in
Greek, Latin, and English and it is a work of art with hundreds of  illuminations
that have meaning to them, filled the history, and architecture,  and the
flora and fauna of Texas and the Southern USA so it can be classified in  many
different ways, but its best description is an illuminated manuscript of  the
Bible.  I have the blessings of the world's theological leaders  including The
Archbishop of Canterbury, the Archbishop of York  and Pope John Paul II.

  My work is classified by the Library of Congress  as visual arts which can
encompass anything just as long as you can photograph  it for the copyright.

    My work is offensive to some, its the  Bible and how in the world did
religion and art become separated? For  thousands of years the idea of people
being inspired by faith fueled the  creativity of art and created the greatest
works. But now that is gone.   Passion, devotion, inspiration, as long as it
does not offend anyone  outside of the norms of acceptable offense.   The
fearless  leaders of the art world are afraid of religious art, it will somehow
diminish their standing in the art world if they are seen publicly to approve of
anything religious, so its an underground movement.  I thought art  was  in
general an underground movement. "Oh we can't show that,  its Christian, someone
will complain." Its funny, they appear to be brave  when "art" is political,
or when it attacks religion, that's ok,  or  has some other social statement
but when confronted with faith, they  can't handle it, they melt. Public
galleries can't show this type of thing, one  person might complain about what they
are showing and so the gallery owners run  away in fear or they ask me to
change it.  Yeah right. There were some here  on this forum who were appalled that
Saint Johns posted an announcement of their  bible as book arts. How dare
they tell of their illuminated book in an  artists forum. What do bibles and book
arts have to do with each other,  after all, the word "book" comes from
"biblia".  Funny  stuff!

You can Google search my bible at "The Pepper Bible" there  is a film of my
writing the text on Easter of last year for WFAA TV.
And whether you like it or not, my Bible will be on deposit in  a theological
library as an example of book arts from this time, for the next  thousand
years!

James G. Pepper
Antiquarius Domini
_http://hometown.aol.com/biblescribe1/biblescribe1/index.htm_