[BKARTS] copies

Hi List,
I recently purchased a lovely, small, Dictionary of Natural History printed in 1815 in England that is in quite good shape. It has many tiny plates that are hand colored and charming for their detail, both accurate and mythical. The blue cloth cover is good, paper is crisp and only slightly mellowed by age, there is a tear in the back endsheet hinge where it's pasted to the case. (I may have vocabulary messed up, here.) The color in the plates is fine. I would like to make photocopies of the plates, but have many concerns. Opening the book completely flat isn't possible (it opens easily, but not flat) but will opening it repeatedly (about 20 times) to place even lightly on a copier harm the book? Do any of you have advice for me regarding this?
Any advice is appreciated.
Velma Bolyard