Re: [BKARTS] Telling of the Book Arts World

James and Sally both agree scripture is the original book art. Forgive my
ignorance, but is this a generally held notion? Johanna Drucker writes of
the livre d'artiste, independent publishers, and artists producing books as
the history of the current artists' books. But, the first book produced that
was also art? Scripture, meaning to include all religions? Books meaning
only in codex form? Were clay tablets never illustrated? Did Egyptian
scribes produce art? Asian scrolls had beautiful illustrations very early.
Ivory palm leaf letters enclosed in custom boxes were certainly elaborate,
time consuming works meant to impress with presentation, maybe not art? I
don't know the answers, but this thread got me thinking...

Beth

Beth Madden Embleton
819 Emory Drive
Chapel Hill NC 27517