[BKARTS] Very Telling, Indeed

On Jan 18, 2006, at 17:59 PM, Sally Jackson wrote:

> Why doesn't anyone (well, with the exception of Lillian Randall in
her book) discuss
> these beautifully drawn images when talking about the religious
fervor of the scribes?

Actually there's been a lot written and thought about this lately.
Check out Michael Camille's "Image on the Edge," e.g. for the marginal
drawing (by a woman illuminator) of a nun picking the ripe fruit from
the penis-tree. And then the response by Madeline Caviness...

Thing is, I still don't see the point of the argument, either
way: "Faith" vs. "Money?" How about "Fish" vs. "Bicycle?" Something
fishy, there.

Paul T Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language