Re: [BKARTS] Very Telling, Indeed

Actually there are MANY very interesting articles on marginalia, and not just in medieval manuscripts.  Searching the "Scholars Portal Search" (via: CSA Illumina) with "marginalia" brought up 262 references four of which I've included:

As-Vijvers, Anne Margreet W.,  "More than marginal meaning ? : the interpretation of Ghent-Bruges border decoration" Oud-Holland, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 3-33, 2003.

Brubaker, Leslie, Entwistle, Chris (ed.)."The Bristol psalter".Through a glass brightly : studies in Byzantine and medieval art and archaeology presented to David Buckton; x, 235, [16] p. of pl.; ill. (some col.) (pp. 127-141). Oxford: Oxbow Books, 2003.

Alexander, Jonathan J. G., Muir, Bernard J. (ed.) "Chastity, love and marriage in the margins of the Wharncliffe hours".  Reading texts and images : essays on medieval and Renaissance art and patronage in honour of Margaret M. Manion; xvii, 337 p., [17] p. of pl.; ill. (18 col.) (pp. 201-220). Exeter: University of Exeter Press, 2002.

Fouquet, Cecile. "Le problème de l'illustration marginale à l'époque romane," Kenaan-Kedar, Nurith (ed.); Ovadiah, Asher (ed.). (2001).The metamorphosis of marginal images : from antiquity to present time; ix, 234 p.; ill. (pp. 79-91). Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv University, the Yolanda and David Katz Faculty of the Arts, Department of Art History, 2001

but searching any library (especially a university) article database should bring up tons of neat info.
Lee

On Jan 18, 2006, at 2:58 PM, Paul T Werner wrote:

> Speaking of dodges: mighty interesting that all those medieval scribes
> were making "art" centuries before the conception existed. Apparently
> they were producing stuff they had neither the ability to identify nor
> the cultural competency to produce.

I find it amusing that so many folks think of scribes as producing
prayer books and bibles in the heat of religious passion when it
really was just a job. There's little or no recognition of the
pattern books the maintained by the various workshops so designs
didn't have to be created anew each time, and somehow nobody
discusses the very pornographic marginalia. Why doesn't anyone (well,
with the exception of Lillian Randall in her book) discuss these
beautifully drawn images when talking about the religious fervor of
the scribes?

Sally Jackson