Re: [BKARTS] Very Telling, Indeed

I'd like to know more about thos pattern books.

Signa

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Sally Jackson
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:00 PM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Very Telling, Indeed

On Jan 18, 2006, at 2:58 PM, Paul T Werner wrote:

> Speaking of dodges: mighty interesting that all those medieval scribes
> were making "art" centuries before the conception existed. Apparently
> they were producing stuff they had neither the ability to identify nor
> the cultural competency to produce.

I find it amusing that so many folks think of scribes as producing
prayer books and bibles in the heat of religious passion when it
really was just a job. There's little or no recognition of the
pattern books the maintained by the various workshops so designs
didn't have to be created anew each time, and somehow nobody
discusses the very pornographic marginalia. Why doesn't anyone (well,
with the exception of Lillian Randall in her book) discuss these
beautifully drawn images when talking about the religious fervor of
the scribes?

Sally Jackson