Re: [BKARTS] Telling of the Book Arts World

To: Book_Arts-l
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Telling of the Book Arts World

Sally wrote:
As an aside, the earliest illuminated book I am aware of is a first century copy of, I believe, Virgil in the Vatican Library.

My recollection may be fading, but the link I posted earlier shows pages of a 3,000 year old book in which I think gold was used to illuminate the pages:
http://colophon.com/gallery/minsky/egypt.htm

The discussion of religion and atrocities should note that religion per se is not generally the cause of religious wars. Rulers have always (and I suggest this goes to pre-history) recognized the power of religion to motivate sentiment, and used this in their propaganda. The causes of the conflicts have almost universally been shown to be economic. It's hard to motivate someone to leave their home, take up arms, kill innocent people, and die to enhance the power of the ruler, or give them more territory to tax, etc. But demonizing the occupants of the territory to be invaded and saying that a god is on your side, does make many people do irrational things.

The current politics in the USA and the Holy Land illustrate this.

The blood is not always obvious. Currently under attack from a power base that uses religion and fear to achieve other ends is our Bill of Rights. I was fortunate to be driving to a reception at The Center for Book Arts while Al Gore's Martin Luther King Day speech at Constitution Hall was aired on the radio. If you missed it, a podcast (mp3) is online at
http://www.irregulartimes.com/gorejan06.mp3

there is a transcript online at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011600779.html

It was an impassioned and important speech, and the best I've heard from him.

Of course, if you want to see my old (1997-2002) Book Art work on this subject, (yes, it is illuminated with gold leaf) the installation view version is at
http://minsky.com/meiselshow.htm
or the detailed version at
http://minsky.com/billofrights-edition.htm

--