From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Richard Minsky
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 8:52 AM
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Telling of the Book Arts World

To: Book_Arts-l
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Telling of the Book Arts World

Sally wrote:
As an aside, the earliest illuminated book I am aware of is a first
century copy of, I believe, Virgil in the Vatican Library.

My recollection may be fading, but the link I posted earlier shows
pages of a 3,000 year old book in which I think gold was used to
illuminate the pages:
http://colophon.com/gallery/minsky/egypt.htm

The discussion of religion and atrocities should note that religion
per se is not generally the cause of religious wars. Rulers have
always (and I suggest this goes to pre-history) recognized the power
of religion to motivate sentiment, and used this in their
propaganda.  The causes of the conflicts have almost universally been
shown to be economic. It's hard to motivate someone to leave their
home, take up arms, kill innocent people, and die to enhance the
power of the ruler, or give them more territory to tax, etc. But
demonizing the occupants of the territory to be invaded and saying
that a god is on your side, does make many people do irrational things.

The current politics in the USA and the Holy Land illustrate this.

The blood is not always obvious. Currently under attack from a power
base that uses religion and fear to achieve other ends is our Bill of
Rights. I was fortunate to be driving to a reception at The Center
for Book Arts while Al Gore's Martin Luther King Day speech at
Constitution Hall was aired on the radio.  If you missed it, a
podcast (mp3) is online at
http://www.irregulartimes.com/gorejan06.mp3

there is a transcript online at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011600
779.html

It was an impassioned and important speech, and the best I've heard from
him.

Of course, if you want to see my old (1997-2002) Book Art work on
this subject, (yes, it is illuminated with gold leaf) the
installation view version is at
http://minsky.com/meiselshow.htm
or the detailed version at
http://minsky.com/billofrights-edition.htm