Re: [BKARTS] Telling of the Book Arts World

On Jan 21, 2006, at 1:55 PM, James Pepper wrote:

Sally you are the one jumping to the conclusions that if I say something
like I am inspired by my faith to produce this art, you are assuming that I am
excluding all other inspirations. What is wrong with someone being inspired
by their faith!

As Paul said, there is nothing wrong with works inspired by faith, but that doesn't mean that your art is good because it is inspired by faith.

As far as quality you are assuming my Bible is not art, you haven't seen it!

You are mistaken. I have looked at your website and have seen the pages you have there. And I would not call it art, nor would I call it good. Please see Cari Ferraro's post to this newsgroup. She said what I would not have said, that the quality of your work is poor. The sly comparisons you make between your work and that of Donald Jackson only serve to demonstrate how little you know of calligraphy and illumination.

Ok, Sally you obviously have not seen Bibles made by individuals in the past
few centuries and I am talking about Hand-Made illuminated manuscripts of
the Bible made AFTER the invention of the printing press. Where people do it
themselves, all by themselves. They are rare in each generation but they have
been done. They don't show up in Mr. De Hamel's book, but I have been in
contact with him and he is now aware of them, people have been pointing them out
to him ever since St Johns made that wild claim to be the first in 500 years
and he made the mistake of repeating that claim in his book. Donald Jackson
says he is the first person to do this in 500 years since the invention of
the printing press and you are quoting his "history of Calligraphy?" Did you
fall for the sales pitch?

Don't be absurd. Of course I have seen illuminated books and other documents. Many, many of them. I lived in Italy for a number of years. I have studied and taught in England. I hold a reader's card to the Bodleian Library, one of the great manuscript collections of the world. I have handled illuminated manuscripts in Chris de Hamel's office. Etc, etc. Who cares if DJ is mistaken in his assertion that this is the first of such documents in 500 years? That's trivia. And I believe the phrase St. John's University uses is "in the modern era."

Probably the best and most recent example is the Ed Bulley (sorry don't
have the right spelling on his name) Bible in London at Westminster Cathedral
made from 1968 to 1983. He did it all by himself on vellum, the
illuminations, the calligraphy even the binding. This is usually how people did this
type of thing, all by themselves

Absolutely untrue. Again, I would refer you to David Diringer's book, The Book Before Printing.

Stop reading books on the manuscripts and look at them!

Stop looking at your own work and avail yourself of some of the resources in the large library you have at hand at SMU so that you may learn something about medieval history.

I think many artists here will be able to tell you the difference between
laying out something on a computer and doing the work from scratch.

I'm certainly willing to listen and learn.

The Saint John's bible is billed as the first hand made illuminated
manuscript of the bible to be made in 500 years or since the invention of the
Printing press. Hand made? Donald Jackson designed a font, then he scrolled it
through the layout program as they added the illuminations, then the scribes copy
it exactly right down to the position of every letter on the page. Each page
will always be exactly the same, as if one person wrote it all.

If you can say that you know absolutely nothing about calligraphy. Each person's fist is different. Any skilled scribe can look at a page of, let's say, Sheila Waters' work and Marsha Brady's work and instantly know who wrote them.

Given your  attitudes towards Christianity, why should you know about
its book  market?

Actually, I don't recall mentioning Christianity in any negative sense. My comments were directed at religiou in general.

Perhaps, if you wish to continue this discussion, we should take it off the list. I don't know that the present structure contributes anything to a consideration of book arts.

Sally