Re: [BKARTS] Politics and Religion

With respect to Mr. Angus, I could not disagree more. I would say that
discussions of book art from such an extreme technical bias would appeal
to an increasingly narrow and parochial audience, and that, extended to
its logical conclusion, would press the meaning of book art so far inward
it would eventually cease to exist.

I believe one of the difficulties of the so-called Book Arts right now is
there are several overlapping cultures engaged together; there are those
for whom book arts serve as a kind of hobby, or a decorative art, and
making books provides them with something to do with their time, with an
outlet; there are those for whom book arts ritualistically mediates a
sense of belonging to a people, of being in touch with exemplary models
and reactualizing exemplary acts, of making time disappear; and there are
those for whom the book serves as a medium of individual creative
expression and perhaps political engagement. Book Arts-L has always upheld
the right of each of these cultures to communicate, has always recognized
a value in the list's multivocality, and members of each culture have
generally been more or less tolerant of the interests of others. Why
should that end now?

Michael Joseph
Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Avenue