[BKARTS] book artists references

Maria,

Among the outstanding bookworks on death is Barton Lidice Benes _Book of the Dead _ made with the ashes of Hans Schneider.

Barton made many works using the ashes, which he found abandoned in an apartment he moved into. We exhibited some of them in his exhibition at The Center for Book Arts in October, 1975.

A few years later a philosophy teacher gave his ethics class final exam the question of Barton's use of the ashes without permission of the deceased or anyone else. He gave Barton the answers, in all those little composition booklets with blue paper covers. Barton gave them to me to bind. I asked him for some Schneider to use in the binding, and made a tombstone with the ashes on the cover. I don't have a photo of it, but Barton probably has it still. If you get a photo I'd love to see it!

--
Richard
http://minsky.com