Re: [BKARTS] Binding Newspapers

Hi Rodney,
The Times Colonist has been bound like this for 50 years and the early copies haven't even yellowed much let alone fallen apart. Actually newsprint is not all that acidic. I would think that washing them would actually cause more harm than good since the soy based inks used nowadays are probably a bit soluble.
Dave
Rodney Fry wrote:
Whilst I agree with the comment,I wonder if your client wishes the bound volumes to be long lasting? Would it not be advisable to wash and deacidify the newspapers and perhaps guard each signature spine fold? I realise that would increase the costs, but that would need to be assessed against the client's use and future storage perhaps.
The couple of newspapers I have bound I have washed them, etc, but 52 issues might be too much of a task!
Rodney Fry
Crowthorne
Berks.
Gt Britain