Re: [BKARTS] art

Hi Richard

Perhaps you are.
Perhaps web design is an art, although I doubt it.
I have been a professional programmer since 1967
and for ten years did web design and implementation.
Mostly, it is not art, no matter how much skill, technique and craft went
into it.
Mostly it has commercial functions.

And that brings us to the apples and oranges. An artist book web site
has the primary function of doing PR and sales for the work that
the artist does not do on the web site, for example, books with or without
pages, or with or without binding, etc.
No doubt the artist would want to accurately represent the work and to be
as pleasing or beuatiful as possible (given time and money ect.).

No matter what the skill, technique and craft the artist puts into a web
site
it's primary purpose is still PR and commercial.
There are folks who create work to only be seen on the web via a CRT,
but those are the folks we are discussing here, which are artists who make
books
and then produce a web site to show their work.
Is a gallery a book?
Is a library a book?
Is a beautiful Prospectus about a book, a book?

More than any other argument it is distinctly unfair and below the belt
to criticize some artifact as art  that the creator had no intention of, or
made no claim to being art.

Perhaps we could criticize as book art some artist's grocery shopping list.

This is ridiculous.

michael