Re: [BKARTS] art

I think that to try and find equivalents between techniques of bookbinding
and Net-Art is fruitful for only about 5 mins and after that the idea
becomes abti tedious in trying to tease out those equivalents between what I
reason to be two completely different reading spaces.

Of course, there are many different 'types'(?) of reading spaces----- the
book (illusionary narrative), mail art (psychogeographic), Net-Art
(private/public), etc...whether or not shopping lists are involved.

As our model(s) of "reading" becomes less linear and increasingly
multilayered we could prehaps begin to see how the USE of the book (content
of, form of, politics of..) and the USE of Net-Art (whether or not people
agree it exists) and the USE of other reading spaces in society can be
creatively played with to learn more about how to develop the interplay of
the codex and the code of content.

The bound book, structures a particular reading space (narrative) for me. I
could take that book --prehaps a downloaded PDF from a political party or a
manifesto of somesort -- and do anything with it to make another reading
space particular to its now altered content. Prehaps to freeze it to change
its molecular structure. In addition I may also code an interactive
touch-screen reading space on a computer monitor and then upload to a
website as well so others can change the temp. of the freezer! My point is
---however bad my example! and sure you will point this out! --- that
information, where ever it is recieved and read does not stop at the
back-cover of a book or start at the computer screen home-page. Is it the
fourth law of thermodynamics(?? help!? deep water) that says energy cannot
be created, but directed...information being energy in this example of
course...
I would just like to develop the ideas of self-publishing, of booked art,
the multiple art-work to look for the reading spaces/narratives that create
the experiences that help us to question and learn further.  Its not for me
what constitutes a bookwork or if computer programming is a bookwork with
Net-Art (...) but to look for more nuances and narrative spaces between
these genres....

Please forgive me if I reapeat mytext unnessecarily.

best to you all

Paul B

--
Paul Bettinson