Re: [BKARTS] art

On Jan 26, 2006, at 10:55 AM, Michael Andrews wrote:

... Commercial art is craft, not art...

I so planned for this entire yarn to wind up without sticking my needle in it. Should have known my own personal hobby horse was sure to get whipped. Please please spare us pronouncements about the distinction between Art and Craft. Where is the craft distinct from the art in the work of William Morris or William Blake? Cellini? Leonardo? Rodin? Do you really want to be that arbiter?

The interdependence of art and craft in the planning and making of books is something I value tremendously. Working in a community of able and talented artists who roll their eyes at the futility of segregating the two (either materially or intellectually) has greatly improved my quality of life.

That's all.

RM