Re: [BKARTS] art

paul, I absolutely agree that we have to recognize the value of unsettled
convictions (I assure you, mine are probably way grayer than yours), and
even that we have to live, like a typical Dostoevsky hero, with
contradictory beliefs. And though I sympathize with your frustration, and
the frustrations of Rebecca, and many others (like poor Brian) who really
don't want to come near theoretical discussion, I cannot agree that
discussions of art are "banal," simply because they do not lead to
unanimous agreement--or a mutual, prolonged exchange of edible goods. I
believe, particularly because we do tolerate "shades of gray," we should
also be prepared to recognize the value of multivocality. In a sense,
since it's unanimity that kills art (e.g., unanimity of the gesture,
unanimity of response), and understanding that engenders unanimity, we
should welcome the posts that bore us or piss us off--unless our aim is
simply to remain in a soft, comfortable fog.

Best,
Mike