Re: [BKARTS] Adhesive for bookcloth on wood box

Last year I adhered some tanned goatskin and tawed pigskin to a
small trunk, duplicating a trunk carried on the Lewis & Clark
expedition.

Cooked wheat starch paste (1:5), thinned out abit, was all that
was necessary.

If I were concerned, I would have made up a batch of hide glue
and diluted it with, maybe, 50% cooked wheat starch paste.

But that wasn't necessary.

I gave the box a paste wash (and let it dry) to seal the wood before
attaching the leather.

Jack

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick